Thursday, September 10, 2009

Blog#4 Artist Statement

Techni-Color Talk Shows

Comedian. Actress. Talk Show host. Squished into one word is Ellen. My icon from before I knew gay wasnt just happy. The woman whos show I love to watch, laugh at, and tell stories about. The strength, knowledge and openess of Ellen DeGeneres makes her my American Icon.

2003 launched the start of the Ellen DeGeneres show. What seemed like a peppy gay woman talking to celebrities and people, turned into something completely different to me. The strong, successful woman in techni-color mesmerized me. She showed me that being strong, being gay is fine. That you should take advantage of it, to not let it get you down. She keeps a smile on my face and a laugh in my heart. 

Being gay, struggling with self confidence, and not knowing who I really was was hard. I went day after day, week after week,  month after month not being happy. Ellen's crazy show turned that around for me. Not so much the show, but her. She did. She showed me you can be successful and be gay at the same time. It showed me, I can be me, I can be gay. I don't have to struggle, I can take hold of it and turn it towards making my life better. 

Her one hour every day slowly built me up. Made me laugh, made me smile. The next day I would hold my head higher. I want to be like her. I want to be successful, and love every minute of it. I want to not let being gay get me down. I want to live life helping others. I want to go home at the end of the day knowing I helped out. Just like Ellen DeGeneres.

"For me, its that I contributed. That I'm on this planet doing some good and making people happy. Thats to me the most important thing, that my hour of television is positive and upbeat and an antidote for all the negative stuff going on in life"
-Ellen DeGeneres




*I had a tiny bit of writers block, and I really would love some feedback so I can make this even better!*

No comments:

Post a Comment